Mr. Chavarro has over 30 years of experience in the execution of projects for the cement industry. This includes plant design, Process and operation optimization, material handling design, management of contractors and vendors, budget control and project schedules, planning, reliability, performance evaluation, and sales and marketing of equipment. Mr. Chavarro has tremendous interpersonal skills, adaptability to handle different situations that require decision making, skills that require analysis, and the ability to propose diverse solutions to problems that arise during the execution of cement plant projects.
Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Bogota, Colombia
M.S. in Mechanical Engineering (Thesis: Hydrodynamic bearing analysis based on vibrational analyses)
Previous Professional Experience
11/2017 – Present Bridge Gap Engineering, LLC – Senior Consultant
Provide engineering services and technical know-how to capital investment projects starting with the conceptual and feasibility study phase. Provide technical support, develop technical solutions, and evaluate feasibility for layout, design, installation and operation of technical solutions for customer proposals. Plan, design, coordinate and manage the project design phase. Create, review, and maintain engineering documents and drawings. Follow through with successful project implementation. Develop after-market improvements to existing customer products.
5/2012 – 11/2017 Cemchen LLC. – Owner
Service mainly to a cement producer with locations in Colombia, Central America, the Caribbean and the U.S.A.
- Complete cement production line feasibility studies.
- Perform due diligence for plant acquisitions.
- Bid document preparation and tender process execution for new line contracts.
- New line project execution to complete engineering for construction and installation.
- Existing cement line upgrades, including bid preparation, tender process, engineering, construction and commissioning support for a pyro system capacity increase, including raw mill, pre-grinder, and finish mill.
- Engineering (including process and plant design), and construction support for a new cement mill in the USA.
- Engineering (including process and mechanical design), and construction support for 4 EP modifications to bag filters in the USA.
- Engineering (including process and mechanical design), for a main bag house upgrade in the USA.
- Plant audits for process and operation improvement.
7/2006 – 5/2012 FLSmidth Inc. – Customer Service Project Department
Sales and marketing including project evaluation with customer, proposal preparation and conceptual design for cement plants departments upgrade, including proposal preparation. Performed alternative fuels projects evaluation, proposal preparation, engineering support and marketing for application in cement plants. Also performed cogeneration project evaluation, proposal preparation and engineering support for waste heat recovery systems in cement plants.
Complete cement plant design projects and proposal preparation, including process design review, equipment selection layout design and project cost preparation, to complete proposal preparation to customer (5 projects)
As plant design manager, executed complete plant project. Complete engineering execution manager, project construction and installation advisor, and Plant commissioning and start up support.
Support in design and engineering to other projects.
1/1995 – 5/2006 BMH Americas/Claudius Peters Americas.
Responsible of cement projects market in South and Central America and support for
North American market.
- Stock yards, Pneumatic conveying systems, blending silos, storage silos, clinker coolers, Coal grinding, Cement dispatching systems (bulk and bags).
- Project evaluation on site with customers and contractors.
- Pre-engineering preparation.
- Cost preparation and equipment selection for proposal preparation.
- Projects negotiation, technical and commercial presentations.
- Support for projects execution.
- Erection installation and commissioning.
- Equipment and systems troubleshooting.
- Equipment and systems audits and optimization.
Customer after-sales services support and troubleshooting for different equipment in mechanical repairs, design problems, and process related problems. Specialized mostly in coolers and pyro-processing, with experience in pneumatic conveying, blending and storage silos and dispatching equipment.
11/1987 – 2/1994 Riess Consulting Ltda.
Supported opening of office for South America and work in the management as well as in the technical field.
- Cement plants equipment erection, mechanical troubleshooting, kiln alignment, gear alignment and equipment repair.
- Feasibility studies for new cement plant installations, including market evaluation plant design, project budget preparation and equipment selection.
- Cement plant expansion analysis, including feasibility study, equipment selection, engineering, installation and start up.
- Cement plants audits.
- Coal grinding plants design and optimization.
- Preheater kiln system optimization.
- Raw grinding systems optimization.
- Quarry management audits.
- Finish grinding optimization.
- Engineering, installation and start up for cooler modifications.
- Blending and storage silos optimization, troubleshooting and cleaning.
- Burners design.
- Cement plants optimization based on clinker microscopy analysis.
- Pneumatic conveying systems design, modifications and troubleshooting.
- Cement plants start up.
- Cement kilns special applications (oxygen injection, alternative fuels applications, etc.) and preheater modifications.
- Fertilizer plants engineering.
- Dry mortar plants design.
1975 – 11/1987 Talleres La Fe (Zipaquirá, Colombia) Family Business.
- Agricultural machinery maintenance.
- Machine operated tools
- Industrial equipment erection (Glass, Lime, Power Plants, Chemicals and food)
- Stability analysis based on vibration analysis.